Tuesday 17 January 2017

Beat Bugs and other ramblings.


I have recently loaded all my Beatles` [you remember them] cds on to my laptop, so I can make a disc for the grand-kids to listen to in the car. I was making a cd of particular tracks that featured on a cd of the kids` show, Beat Bugs. They use Beatles` songs and they are very good. The
cd is excellent, some really good versions, with artist like Rod Stewart and Robbie Williams on board.. Far and away, the best Beatles covers album, I have ever heard and I do have several. I thought of just copying the disc for the car, but felt the need for them to experience the originals rather than have the new versions become their standard. Toby, the oldest of the American grand-kids was exposed to the big four as a baby. It was on his parents` ipod and played to help him go to sleep. It will be interesting to see if he remembers any, several years later. On the Beat Bugs soundtrack was a version of Rain, a Beatles` B side. I discovered I did not have it on cd! I know. I was shocked too. I do have it on vinyl, a few times. So now I have to get copies of Past Masters, the cd set that has all the B sides and unusual items. I have most of them, mainly on the Rarities album, from a vinyl box set, released a long time ago. As for the cd I have made, I included a few extra tracks, not featured in Beat Bugs. Ob-la-di Ob-la-da and Octopus`s Garden, for instance.


The initial premise for this blog was to talk about acts that have had very little action in the US charts, while being successful in the UK. Each time I think about doing a particular act, I find they had a bigger presence than I realised. I can still do that, but I need to be free to talk about non-US acts without restriction. I may even mention the big boys every now and then, just to give my personal view and let you in to my collection a little more. People like Gilbert O`Sullivan, ELO and Mike Oldfield. Mike, of course, has a new album out this week, Return To Ommadawn and I will be getting it and reviewing it. I was listening to the original this weekend. Really good album that.




So, now I feel free to talk about any non-American act, on here, from a purely personal standpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment